Kandaswami Kandar's College
The philanthropist Nanjai Edayar Sri Kandaswami Kandar's dream put into action, he established a trust for educational institutions. In 1925, the doors to the new Higher Elementary school opened. It became a High School in 1945. To carry on Sri Kandaswami Kandar's good work, the enthusiastic Trust's President, Sri M.Parimala Kandar, and Correspondent, Sri M.Rathinasabapathy BA., B.T., founded a college in Velur, a village on the banks of the river Cauvery in Namakkal District.
The University of Madras first granted affiliation for Pre-University courses in 1962, expanding this to include Degree programmes shortly thereafter. The college moved to its own buildings in 1967, and the then-Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, the Honourable C.N. Annadurai, formally opened the institution. The institution now has its own 48-acre campus. The first post graduate-level programmes began in 1971 subsequently the Research Programmes were also sanctioned by the University of Madras. Since 1998, it became affiliated with Periyar University, Salem.
The UGC has granted the college 12 B & 2(f) status, and the institution has also been accredited by NAAC. It is a publicly funded, non-sectarian institution that welcomes both sexes equally. Now it offers 16 UG, 13 PG and 9 PhD programmes. Over a period of time our faculty and students have published more than 1500 research articles and book chapters. Our faculty have more than 20 patents. Our students grab gold medals at university exams regularly and excel in sports and other extra curricular activities. The college marked Diamond Jubilee in 2022 under the leadership of Dr. R.Somasundaram , president / secretary of the college.